What does this protein to creatinine ratio indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: On 4/6/16 The protein in my urine was tested to be 30mg/dL,the urinary random protein/creatin ratio was.27, the urine total protein was 60.7 mg/dL, and the urine creatinine reading was 224 mg/dL. Were these readings high,very high,or extremely high? On 4/20/12 and 2/13/14 protein in urine tested at the 30 mg level.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
they're OK

Detailed Answer:

the clinically most useful indicator is the protein to creatinine ratio. It should be less than 30mg/g, so 27 is fine. The spot urine protein is usually less than 150, so 60 is OK. The creatinine measurement is not useful on its own.

So in conclusion, your results are normal. Please note that the best way to assess proteinuria is the 24-hour urine collection.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Zografakis. The written report which I received from my test compared my urine random protein/creatin ratio of .27 mg/dL to a range of 0-.14 and labeled it as high. Urine total protein of 60.7mg/dL was compared to a range of 0-11.8mg/dL and was also labeled high. My urine creatinine test of 224mg/dL was compared with a range of 30-125 and also was labeled high.

I haven't had a chance to discuss with my dr. yet but will be calling him tomorrow. I guess my anxiety over my test results being labeled High prompted my search for answers today! Why are they comparing my results to the above ranges?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload the test report

Detailed Answer:
In order to help me clarify this issue please upload the full report by using a follow-up question. The units you've used are not correct and it would be better to have a look with my own eyes. I'll be waiting for the report...
I've uploaded a picture of my results.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no picture...

Detailed Answer:
I don't see any picture... Please try again or upload it on anywhere else and send me the link.
Anyway, I'll provide you the normal ranges for urine tests, so you can check your report. Some labs use other units of measurement so conversion might be required. The units you've provided were wrong. For example protein to creatinine ratio cannot be measured in md/dL.

Spot urine albumin to creatinine ratio: less than 30 is normal, 30-300 is high, more than 300 is very high. The unit of measurement is mg/g.
Spot urine total protein/creatinine: less than 150-200 is normal (mg/g).
Spot urine creatinine: 22-328mg/dL for a man of your age.
24hour urine creatinine: 800-2000mg per day.
24h urine total protein: less than 150mg per day

If you'd like to ask about unit conversions or you'd like to upload your report, I'll be glad to explain.

Kind Regards!

Thank you for the information. I have to get someone to show me how to get the report to you on my I-Pad. I took a picture of the report and tried to attach it to the follow up question area but apparently it didn't go. Again thank you for the data on what is normal.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

If you could upload it, it would help a lot. I hope I've helped you!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Thank you so much for your help! I'll be following up with my Doctor tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Glad to help...