What does this post prandial blood sugar level of 265 indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Diabetes
Question: Post lunch sugar 265
after taking medication
metaformin hcl (500IR&1500SR)
glaritus insulin 30units with 100iu sirange
please aldvise dosage
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of factors need to be kept in simultaneous consideration.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. There are a number of things to consider here. Firstly the blood HbA1c level needs to be checked. It will indicate a three monthly average of your blood sugar. Depending on the level of control the interventional plan needs to be designed. If the HbA1c is somewhat high, the basal insulin (Glaritus or insulin glargine) dose needs to be increased. The daily pre-feed capillary blood glucose levels need to be monitored thrice a day for at least 3 days and the dose titration needs to be done accordingly. The post prandial blood glucose level also needs to be checked and depending on that the dose of bolus insulin needs to be decided. I would not prefer adjuvant therapy with metformin.

The blood pressure, the renal function and so many things need to be kept in consideration (not all have been discussed). So, the dosage cannot be just decided based on the information given. You need to be in regular follow up with your doctor for the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
My hb a1c taken 20 days before 9.83 three months avg blood sugar is 246 after that increased insulin 15 to 30
units till from three regularily thrice a day ichecked 247,265,277 readings with theabove medicine can sujust what to donow iam sufferinglot
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose titration important.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Your HbA1c level is way high and you need to aggressively control the blood sugar levels. It is advisable to switch exclusively to insulin. Since you have mentioned the blood sugar levels, dose titration is essential.

Although the dose has been increased from 15 to 30, perhaps some more dose increment has to be done. Sitting at a distance I should not advise you to change the dose on your own since there could be chances of developing hypoglycemia and that could even be a threat to life.
So it's advisable to do it under supervision of your doctor.

I hope you understand.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 minutes later
I am using tablets i have to continue.the same with insulin is it ok i understood please confirm me whether tablets will works or not
What about tablets whether i have to stop or to continue i understood what you are my creatine level
.83
liver sgot sgpt all arenormal range
And iam having sugar bp equipments iwill test thrice
As per yr experience suggest me every three hr i willdo sugar test iwilltake family doctors advice i will follow
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tablets need to be continued

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. The tablets definitely work. Insulin is just a better choice. If the tablets were discontinued the dose of insulin would have to be increased. So, you should not stop them unless your doctor asks you to.

The creatinine level is fine and so renal compromise has not yet set in.

We do testings when the results are likely to affect or modify the intervention. Unless that is the case, regular testing does not make sense. However, you can feel free to experiment if your doctor suggests you to.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D