What does this pelvic ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi i had an ultrasond scan of the pelvis as i m low in iron so the docotrs wanted to check the pelvis out as i bleed heavily for 2 days this is what the report says
The uterus is anteverted and has a volume of 50ml. No focal uterine mass is present. Endometrium measures 10mm. Trace of fluid with debris noted within it. No emdometrail polyps visualised. Right ovary is bulky with a volume of 13ml and left ovary has a volume of 6.3ml. Follicles noted within both ovaries. An involuting follicle is noted within the right ovary. No ovarian cysts present. Impression: bulky right ovary. Please tell me whats this means as i am really concernerd for future as i will be planning for a family next year
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry; no problem in conceiving.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your report thoroughly. I understand your concerns.

In my opinion, your report does not show any finding at present which can affect chances of conception.
Uterus is normal. Follicles in ovaries are also normal. There are no cysts which is a good sign.
Your ultrasound was ordered as you had heavy bleeding. Is it the first time you had this episode of heavy bleeding? If yes, and with this ultrasound report, you need not worry.

If your cycles are irregular, then I would suggest further hormonal evaluation (Thyroid profile, prolactin and LH, FSH levels).

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further for more doubts.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 8 hours later
Hi doctor

So what does the right bulky ovary mean and trace of fluid and debris noted in the endometrium and that there is an involuting follicle noted in the right ovary. Do i have pelvic inflammatory disease or polycystic ovary syndrome? What does all this mean? I have regular periods but i get abnonomal bleeding after 2 weeks of my periods like brown red discharges in between my cycle.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Due to involuting follicle.

Detailed Answer:
The bulky ovary may due to involuting follicle. Sometimes, the follicles does not rupture after maturation. This can cause bulky ovary.

Traces of fluid and debris in edometrium is suggestive of some infectious pathology. A short course of antibiotics can treat this.

There are no signs of PCOD as per report. But a regular ultrasound (6 monthly) can note the formation of cysts in the ovary. If there are cysts, it can be treated depending on its nature.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.