question-icon

What does this pathology report showing remnants of ovary post uterus removal indicate?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Hi in 2005 I had my Uterus removed due to fibroids. In 2012 I has a bilateral oopharectomy. in 2014 I was in the ER with severe pelvic pain, and the ER Doctor told me I was ovulating and that I have a left ovary that is functioning ie,blood flow etc. My PCP requested post operating report including the pathology report from the surgery date. The pathologist reports that he received left ovary and right ovary. How can this be? Do ovaries regenerate? I actually have a menstrual cycle every 28 days.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ovaries do not regenerate back

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Sometimes, after oophrectomy or removal of ovaries, some tissue is left behind, and that leads to remnant ovarian syndrome.
This syndrome has the symptoms as you are having.
However, ovaries do not regenerate back.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma (21 minutes later)
Thank you for the response.. I have severe pain when I urinate (at the end of urination) All labs are fine; urinalysis is fine: cat scan, ultasound fine, I recently had a cystoscopy which was fine with one thing she said a little rough spot found near the uretha - could this all be related to the remnant syndrome? I just dont know where to go as my GYN keeps telling me my pain is not GYN related. I thinks its affecting my bowels as well: im just in pain and no one has a clue as to how to help me.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Pain unlikely due to remnant syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, rough spot near the urethra and pain at the end of the micturition is unlikely due to remnant syndrome.
The pain seems to be neurological and you should get a opinion from neurologist also.
Dr Deepti Verma
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine