What does this pathology report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, the pathology report from a specimen of Sigmoid and rectum, and another one of Distal donut shows the following: RESIDUAL TUBULAR ADENOMA WITH HIGH GRADE DYSPLASIA. - NO CARCINOMA SEEN. - MARGINS ARE FREE OF LESION. - TWENTY-SIX (26) LYMPH NODES WITH NO HISTOPATHOLOGICAL ABNORMALITY and for the distal donut this: DISTAL DONUT: - NO HISTOPATHOLOGICAL ABNORMALITY. Can you explain what it all means? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See details below please.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thanks for asking query on this forum.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Before comming to answer lets get familiar to few medical terms. This will help you understand things better.

A tumour develops when cells in the body divide and grow at an excessive rate.Normal cells in the body follow an orderly path of growth, division, and death. but sometimes some particular cells don't follow this pattern and continue to multiply at a very high rate.This mass of cells is calle tumour.

Now a tumour can be malignant or benign.Benign tumors are noncancerous growths in the body.They remain confined to a particular area and does not metastasise to other areas or organs unlike malignant tumour which spreads to other organs also.So frankly speaking a benign tumour is a collection of traitor cells which are not harmful to body as they can't migrate from their site of origin.

Word dysplasia means-the presence of cells of an abnormal type within a tissue(remember traitor cells), which may signify a stage preceding the development of cancer.This means that right now cells are not cancerous but in near future they can be cancerous.

Lets come to answer now-

RESIDUAL TUBULAR ADENOMA WITH HIGH GRADE DYSPLASIA.-An adenoma is a polyp that closely resembles the tissues in the colon, and tubular simply means the adenoma is tube-like in shape.Under microscope your sample has high levels of dysplasia(abnormal cells) but there is no sign of cancer yet.This has been expained above.

Lesion means injured or damaged tissue.They are highy suggestive of malignancy in future however your margins are smooth and clear which means every thing is fine and there is no need to worry.

Whole intestine in our body is lined up by numerous lymph nodes.They are the check posts in our body.Any toxin bacteria etc will be trapped into it.Swollen lymph nodes can be due to number of causes but as there is no histopathological change(no change in microscopic studies) so there is no need to worry.
Note-carcinoma is associated with number of histopathological microscopic changes.

Take home message-
You arefine right now and even if dysplasia changes to cancer in future adenomas are benign so there is no need to worry at all.

Hope i answered your query well.
Let me know if you find something difficult to understand.

Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 16 minutes later
So if I understand correctly, on the report of 6/2/15 after the colonoscopy there was a high probability of cancer due to that tubulovillous adenoma, but after removing part of the colon, the pathologist found no cancer. Is this correct?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Yes dear you got it right.Reports dated 23/6/15 are suggestive of only dysplasia(traitor cells) and no carcinoma (either benign or malignant) is there.
In other words you are fine.

In case you need any other professional advice feel free to question.I would be glad to help.

Regards and good luck.
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist