question-icon

What does this oxygen saturation level of 96 in a toddler indicate?

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016
Question: My toddler (9/16/13 birthday) was sleeping and I heard him breathing a little heavy so I checked him with my pulse and oxygen oximeter and it was 96% . Do I bring him into er with it being that low? I don't know what is considered "very low"
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
96% is normal oxygen saturation, No need to go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
I can understand your concern
In a healthy child breathing room air, the oxygen saturation levels will be between 96 and 98 percent.
So the oxygen saturation level of your baby is 96%. It is normal no need to worry.
No need to go to ER.
Just try to develop healthy life style to your kid for good health
Give him a diet includes more of fresh vegetables, fruits.
Avoid junk food
Exercise and physical activity

IF you have any doubt, you are welcome.

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist