What does this nuclear test result indicate?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I uploaded my recent nuclear test results done in March. Dose it tell of any damage and if so could this cause issues in the future. my previous labs and EKG, could it have shown I was having any issues at the time. It was 3 weeks for the time I had the first EKG until It was detected.
nuclear imaging shows a very minimal residual area of anterior ischemia, but a marked improvement compared with prior study, Her ejection fraction prior to her stenting was 41% by nuclear imaging and it is 70% today. Dose this mean I have no damage to my heart now
Thank you so very much
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is visible improvements..

Detailed Answer:

I compared the two perfusion spect scans and yes, there is considerable improvements both in the amount of perfusion as well as ejection fraction. As there were reversible changes perhaps the situation has improved after stent insertion. And yes based on the latest scan reports, amount of heart damage as well as its functions have greatly improved.

In brief, I am very pleased with the latest scan report. Keep up the good work. Follow your doctors instruction carefully. Continue the follow ups as and when required.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need any more clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
I kindly thank you for answering my questions. May I ask is all the damage gone now. If not can you tell how much damage there is.

I again thank you

P.S dose my blood show anything
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
No alarming features....

Detailed Answer:

Blood reports was remarkably normal; no alarming features out there. Total cholesterol was just above normal. That should come under control with good physical exercise and weight moderation.

As far as heart damage is concerned, it has improved remarkably when compared to previous scan report. There is mild to moderate perfusion defect (obstruction) that is noted under stressful condition; but this has improved significantly from what was found in the initial scan. Therefore we can say large amount of heart damage (which was initially believed to be) has reversed - hence the term hibernating myocardium was used there.

In all, the findings are towards the positive side.

Hope this answered your question.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Dr. Pradsad,

I apologize for one more question. I will close after this.
I thank you so very much.
What is meant by

Her nuclear imaging shows a very minimal residual area of anterior ischemia, but a marked improvement compared with her prior study. her ejection fraction prior to her stenting was 41% by nuclear imaging and it is 70% today.

Is ALL damage from my heart attack reversed?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Previous illeffects have improved...

Detailed Answer:
I would not call them damages, since the latest scan report refer it as 'hibernating myocardium'. It means some part of the heart muscles suspended its activities due to low perfusion. There has been no damages incurred. Definitely this state has reversed itself and heart functions are back. Improved ejection fraction is an indication of reversed functions.

So that's a very positive sign.

Hope it's clear to you now.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad