question-icon

What does this mean. no echogenic, shadowing calculus no hydronephrosis

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019
Question: What does this mean. no echogenic, shadowing calculus no hydronephrosis and was my ultrasound within normal limits for my age of 73 years?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
The reported Ultrasound scan is mostly within normal limits only...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

Yes, I've reviewed the attached Ultrasound report and it's mostly within normal limits only...

The kidney stones mostly appear as echogenic shadows during the ultrasound scanning. So, no echogenic, shadowing calculus means no stones were seen...

Nephrons are the functional units of our kidneys. No Hydronephrosis means there was no swelling found in the kidneys. In the lower pole of the left kidney, there is reported cyst up to (1.2 x 0.9 x 1.1) cm. However, since there is no hydronephrosis, and if no other symptoms present then it shouldn't be any point of concerns...

So, more or less, the Ultrasound findings are within normal limits only...

Wish you good health...
Let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist