What does this low BP value indicate?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: is blood presure of 78 over 48 safe?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions for low blood pressure...

Detailed Answer:

Before running into final conclusions, I'd like to have more of your medical data:
- is your blood pressure at this range always or you started to notice with recent measurements?
- what type of blood pressure monitor you use: digital or others?
- do you suffer of any other disease: heart disease or others?
- are you taking any medications?
- are you having GI problems: black/red stool?
- have had any whole blood work for anemia?

All these information are necessary to rule out more serious pathologies (e.g. stroke, intestinal bleeding, heart failure, etc.). If you used to have low blood pressure during all your life, then, no need to worry.

If you use to measure your blood pressure through a digital (self) monitor, then, should make sure it is working properly to avoid false results.

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T