What does this lipid profile indicate?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol
Question: my Lipid profile says:- Total cholesterol serum 259mg/dl, tryglyceride serum is332mg/dl,high density lipoprotien 53.9mg/dl, VLDL 66.42 mg/dl, low density lipoprotin is 138.68 mg/dl, total cholesterol/HDl ratio is 4.81 and LDL/HDL ratio 2.57

Liver profile says:-SGOT 94.3IU/L and SGPT 170, GGT is 165.6.
Would like to know my health condition
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
High Trigycerides.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your reports.
You have high blood Triglycerides and increased LDL (bad cholesterol)VLDL and cholesterol ratio except HDL(good cholesterol) which is normal.
Your liver function tests values are increased it could be due fatty liver(due to high cholesterol)
If I were your treating doctor I would suggest you changes in your life style and diet.And I will repeat the tests after 3 months.If still you have high levels after changing your life stlye and food habits then I would go for medical treatment and I would start Stains(lipid lowering drugs).
Bad cholesterol can lead to heart attack so you need reduce your cholesterol levels.
I would like to give some suggestions to you.:
You need change your lifestyle and diet habits.
Physical exercise utmost important to reduce cholesterol.If you are over weight you need to do vigorous physical exercises at least 30 minute a day.
Avoid consuming sugar contains food and carbohydrate contains food like cakes,bread,chocolates.
Avoid alcohol if you consume alcohol.
Avoid smoking if you smoke.
Avoid oily food,fast food,junk food and heavy fat meals.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Adding fiber contain food to your diet it will help in reduce fat.
Eat fish which contains omega 3 fatty acids and garlic which increases good cholesterol(HDL).

I would also suggest get your blood glucose test done and check your blood pressure.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 33 minutes later
Thank you Dr. As per my report what are the indication of Kidney function, serum uric acid is 8.4mg/dl & Diabeteic screening- fasting is 106 mg/dl? what does TIBC in Anemia studies signify which is 452ug/dl? What kind of exercise do you suggest e.g.Yoga, Running, Jogging, weight lifting, aerobics etc. I am normal built weigh 85 Kg and 5ft 10 inch height. Age 33 yrs- Male
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High Uric acid

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

I have gone through your reports.
Your kidney function test are absolutely normal except uric acid level is high. It could be due to over weight or alcohol related or due to dietary factors. Your treating doctor can plan its action based on the cause suspected.

Your TIBC (Total iron binding capacity) and RBC Distribution Width (RDW-SD) are high it means your iron stores in your body started decreasing. You need not worry about it. I start iron rich food and iron supplements to correct those parameters.

Absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) is slightly increased it means mild infection in your body.

Your fasting blood glucose within normal limit. However I would suggest you also get Post prandial blood glucose test done.

According your weight and height your BMI is 27 it indicates you are over weight.
I would suggest you join in a gym and do exercises with instruction of gym master. Until then aerobics will be the choice.

Hope I have answered your query.
I f you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 41 minutes later
Thank you Dr. My last question. I have been feeling some pain at my back chest, could be mascular pain.. Is it a matter of concern?
Brief Answer:
Advised Ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:

Some pain in back chest could be multiple reasons.Mostly it could be Muscular pain.

I would advice you use hot water bags for pain it effectively relives the pain.
and you can take Ibuprofen 200 mg for pain.
Drink plenty of water.
Please check your blood pressure levels periodically.
Maintain your food habits.
Wish you a good health.

If you have any more queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari