What does this lab report indicate?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: What is lactobacillus? I get a wet mount examintaion done ? I just read my reports everything is normal amd negative but they write lactobacillius - some
Can i know what is it and its normal in vagina or not
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal flora of vagina - Friendly Bacteria

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
I can understand your concern
I had gone through the report attached.
No need to worry.Your report is absolutely normal.
In normal healthy woman vaginal secretion should have Lactobacillus.
Lactobacillus are nothing but commensal bacteria, means these are the normal flora of vagina.Its presence indicates the good healthy condition of the vagina.
that is why it is called friendly bacteria.It produces lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide and keeps the vaginal pH low that acidic.Hence it prevents many fungal and bacterial infections resulting on urinary tract infection.

If you have any doubt you are welcome.Otherwise kindly close the thread and rate it.
Thank you
Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 7 minutes later
Thank you so much can i know at the end of my report why they put past encounter about leukorrhea . And is leukorrhea is std ? And how can i ask more questions thanks
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be due infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing again
Leukorrhoea basically means excessive vaginal discharge.
vaginal discharge is commonly seen in young women in the reproductive years, and it is normal during certain phases of the menstrual cycle, when it maybe thick or excessive also.
Vaginal discharge is considered abnormal, if it is yellowish, if it is foul smelling or if it associated with pain, burning during urination etc.
If none of these symptoms are present, it is normal vaginal discharge, which is physiological, and you should not worry about it.
If you have symptoms like pain, burning urination, itching or foul odour, then please consult a gynecologist to know specific infection and treatment like clotrimazole or Candid vaginal pessary are useful.
But as of now if you are not having Leukorrhoea, no need of any treatment.

Dr Priyanka G Raj