What does this gestational sac of 2.1cm diameter indicate?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Gestational sac of 2.1 cm diameter. A yolk sac. But no fetal pole at 7 week 2 days. Trophoblastic reaction is irregular. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. The gestational sac would have developed fetal pole with heart beat by now.

2. The chances of pregnancy being healthy after this is difficult.

3. Get transvaginal ultrasound scan repeated next week to confirm development.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later
Thanks doc. But I have read that in few cases heart beat came in 8th week also. And I m going through beta hcg test as well. Hcg levels is pretty much within limit for the first time. Will be repeat ing the same in 48 hrs.

Also.what could be the reason for this ??
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
repeat

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The possibility of heart beat appearing after now is low.

Beta hCG levels should double every 48 hours if pregnancy is healthy.

The common cause of such pregnancy is chromosomal abnormalities.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
So can this effect next pregnancy also ??
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There are chances. But not necessarily.