What does this following lab report indicate?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I just got the results of my CBC. Everything was in the normal range, except my thyroid. My TSH was 156.900, it was 4.35, over year ago. I have had a hypoactivethyroid for almost 10yrs. I have been taking Armour 30 mg. TSH 156.900, range 0.450 - 4.500:, T4 3.0 low, range 4.5 - 12.0:, T3 uptake 22 low, range 24 - 39:, Free Thyroxine Index 0.7 low, range 1.2 - 4.9: I have never heard of a TSH of 156.900. Does this mean my thyroid has to come out and or worse ? Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can happen. You need higher dose of thyroxine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Yes it is possible that the TSH value can go to 100s and 200s also of the thyroxine needs are not met. We have seen values rarely above 300s also.
What you have yo do here is increase your dosage of thyroxine to higher levels. As you mentioned you are taking 30mcg currently so definitely this dosage is not enough for you and you need to increase the dose.
I would recommend to make it 100 or 125 mcg per day for another month or so and check after one month.
Once a person is diagnosed with hypothyroidism he should regularly keep checking the thyroid levels because by trial and error method we reach the best optimum dosage required by your body as different people have different needs.
So as you already have doctors appointment which is a good thing and I will suggest after taking the new higher doses, you need to monitor the response and find the best dose for you correlating with the test values.
I hope I have answered your question well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj