What does this echocardiogram report indicate?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Current ECHO shows aortic stenosis: can this condition just appear? Patient had 3 prior ECHOS in last 6 months and no cardiologist found problem. She is 91 y.o. and has congestive heart failure. I would also like to know if the tvar procedure they are proposing would alleviate chr?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answers to your questions

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the medical history of the patient and understood your concern.

1. Aortic stenosis is the narrowing of the aorta, the large blood vessels through which blood is spread to other body's organs.

Aortic stenosis (AS) takes time to appear, especially if the patient is this age old as it's mainly because of age related calcification.

As the patient has a personal history of chronic heart failure( chf), I believe the echo doctor wanted to make sure that her AS needs an intervention, that's why 3 echoes have been carried out during the last 6 months. Furthermore, correlation with her clinical symptoms should be also made before the procedure is carried out.

2. TVAR procedure is a minimally invasive intervention through which a new aortic valve is placed over the old one. This is a new procedure designed for those patients that cannot go for open heart surgery( as this 91 years old patient).

If everything will be ok, her symptoms will get improved. Please keep in mind that every procedure has it's side effect. However, we hope no complication will be present as it's a minimally invasive intervention.

Hope it answered your questions.
Dr.Albana