What does this chest x-ray indicate?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Received report from chest xray. It says, among other things, "frontal and lateral views of the chest hypoexpanded but clear lungs." I previously had a total collapse of the right middle lobe of my lung, found one month ago by a CT scan. What does chest hypoexpanded mean? All I can find online is is hyperexpanded lungs. My doctor's office (MA) just tells me my lungs are fine.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hypoinflated is a technical comment indicating you did not breathe deeply

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. If on your chest X ray, the lungs are commented as hypoinflated then it means that you did not take a deep inspiration. This is a technical comment and not connected to any disease.

2. Collapse of lung is a condition when the lung or a part of it gets deflated. Your lungs are not collapsed since there is no mention of a collapse in your report.

3. Hyperinflated lungs might refer to a condition where there is air trapping and the lungs are over inflated in appearance and is seen in certain disorders involving small air spaces.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 2 days later
the right side of my chest is still painful, even tho my lung is not longer collapsed. What could possible causes be?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is possible irritation of nerves surrounding lungs on the right side

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. The lungs and pleura have a rich supply of blood vessels and nerves.

2. Even though it is no longer collapsed, there might be slight irritation of the nerves in the left pleural cavity.

3. Many patients experience sharp shooting pain during healing and probably that is the reason for your pain. It will gradually improve with time.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist