What does this cervical spine X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, my recent cervical spine x-ray revealed a mild neck swan deformity of the cervical spine and a loss of the expected cervical lordosis. What treatment would you suggest? Please see attached images
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Rheumatoid arthritis. May need surgery if there is instability. Ne

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Do you have Rheumatoid arthritis ?

Any pain of the joints of the hands, knees, shoulders ?

You seem to be having Atlantoaxial instability. This is instability in the joint close to your head and neck junction in the spine.

This can lead to chronic neck pain and difficulty in rotating the head to the sides.

Continue with hot fomentation. Take pain killers. You need to get investigated for Rheumatoid arthritis with Rheumatoid factor, ESR, CRP, AntiCCP blood tests. Then if these tests suggest Rheumatoid arthritis you can be started on DMARD medication.

Kindly do forcing and extension views of the cervical spine for better assessment of this problem and to decide the need for surgery versus conservative treatment.

Usually if there is Atlantoaxial instability I would recommend surgical fusion of that region of the spine using plates and screws.

This can be done by a Spine Surgeon or Neurosurgeon.

Avoid turning the head to the sides. You may need Cervical Orthos is once we detect the instability. Avoid bending the neck forward and lifting any weights.

Kindly answer my queries and also perform the Xray, for me to be in a better positron to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your detailed assessment.

I haven't been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis previously. My x-ray images are attached. Are you able to view the images? If not, I'll reattach them again.

I haven't had any pain of the joints of my hands, shoulders or knees in the past.
I'm having pain when rotating my neck to the sides, especially the right side of my neck is in pain when moving.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mostly Rheumatoid arthritis. Get flexion extension xrays of cervical spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Yes, I have viewed born the attached Xray images. I suspect Rheumatoid arthritis.

It would be best to get a flexion and extension Xray images as well to assess the level of instability and the need for surgery.

Try to avoid turning the head to the sides of bending forwards.

Kindly get the blood tests done as well to help diagnose your problem.

Kindly follow up with me regularly in this regard.

Dr. Aashish Raghu