What does this blood sugar test report indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Diabetes
Question: i had went to a doctor for sugar test
at fasting =109 and after food =160
do i have sugar .
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It denotes Pre-diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your question.

After going through your question, I can understand your concern.

Your mentioned blood glucose levels denotes Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) & Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) both are part of Pre-diabetes.

Possibility of progression of Pre-diabetes to Diabetes increases with -
- Family history of Diabetes.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Overweight or obesity, Body Mass Index (BMI) of more than 25.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Food habits : Junk, fast food.

In such scenario, I may have advised -
- OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) & HbA1c to confirm the diagnosis.
- Lipid Profile.
- Liver function test.
- Renal function test.
- Urine albumin creatinine ratio.
- T3,T4, TSH.

Life style modification definitely help in such scenario.
For that it may be advisable -
- To maintain healthy weight, BMI of less than 23.
- Diet: Calories & Fat restricted diet. Better to consult nearby dietitian who can plan diet according to food habits & BMI.
- Regular Exercise : Atleast 150 min per week of moderate degree of physical activity is recommended.

It will be better to consult nearby Diabetologist or Endocrinologist for better evaluation depending upon clinical examination.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj