What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: My 16 year old son has been going to a youth drop in clinic for anxiety and depression. Although we have great healthcare we don't have a Family Doctor. The Doctor he saw on Nov 6th requested blood work to rule out a medical reason for his anxiety. She said the initial results didn't make sense so on Nov 17th she ordered more tests and s'more in depth iron panel. Once again, she was a bit baffled by the results and wanted to speak to a Hematologist. When we followed up with her last week she said she hadn't been able to speak to a specialist and she gave him Palafer Iron pills (300mg Ferrous Fumarate) and told him to take one pill every night and she will check in next month to see if his ferritin level has increased. I just want to ensure that it is safe for him to take. I also wonder if we should investigate the cause of these results.
Nov 6th Out of Range Tests results
Hemoglobin 172 Range 131-169 g/l
Hematocrit .50. Range .38-.49 l/l
Monocytes. .8 Range. .1 - .7 ug/l
Ferritin. 21 Range. 28 - 186 ug/l
Nov 17th Results
Hemoglobin 168 Range see above
Hematocrit. .49 Range see above
Monocytes. .8 Range see above
Iron. 43.4 Range 10.6 - 33.8 umol/l
Iron Binding
Capacity
Unsaturated 14 Range 24 - 61 umol/l
Iron Saturation .76 Range .13 - .50
Ferritin 17 Range see above
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes his ferritin level is low and need iron supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

His ferritin level is low. It is storage form of iron and low ferritin level suggest iron deficiency. So he needs iron supplements like ferrous fumarate.

His hemoglobin and hematocrit and monocytes are slight high then given range but it is not a cause of concern. We can consider it as normal.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any answers then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 46 minutes later
So the Iron and Iron saturation both being out of range high is of no concern?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry about that.

Detailed Answer:
No nothing to worry about that. That range is OK.
Thanks for using health care magic.