What does this blood report indicate?
My MCV has been high for many years (maybe since I was born?): 104 - 106
37 years old, I almost never drink alcohol (I feel bit unwell when I try to drink a few sips), healthy diet with lots of green veggies, fruits, eggs, and also regularly have dairy and meat.
Other out of range results are:
- L.F.T. : ALT 38 U/L
- MCH: 33.3 pg (slightly high)
- White cell count: 3.6 x 10*9/L
- Iron 45 umol/L
- Iron Saturation: 77 % Saturation
The iron levels have been in this range for many years (at least 12 years, maybe more)
Haemochromatosis: C282Y: Heterozygous, H63D: Unaffected
Otherwise, healthy, no known health issue.
Doctors have prescribed blood test recently because I have amenorrhea for many years.
Went off the contraceptive pill 2.5 years ago, and no period since then.
I tried fertility drugs (Letrozole, Provera) but fertility specialist says it does not work because of pituitary gland not secreting enough hormones.
Apart from regularly eating dark (90%) chocolate, I can’t see why I would have high iron and liver issues.
Doctors say I should not have any Haemochromatosis symptoms as I’m Heterozygous.
No known issue in my family.
Do you think my hypopituitarism would be related to those iron abnormalities (and probably liver overload too)?
Any ideas where those iron/liver/blood cells abnormalities could come from??
Unlikely to be hemochromatosis
Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.
You are heterozygous for hemochromatosis, it is not a risk factor for hemochromatosis. But it is well known to cause high serum iron and transferrin saturation. These levels are unlikely to cause damage to organs like pituitary. Liver enzyme only borderline elevated and it is nonsignificant. Same goes for mch. Only WBC is bit low which we need to follow the trend.
So we have to find another cause for hormonal deficiency. We can get a MRI of the pituitary. If that also is normal then no cause can be identified and the condition treated symptomatically.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- What does my sons blood report indicate
- What does these blood reports for salmonella typhi indicate
- What does mild anisopoikilocytosis indicate in a blood report
- What does my blood sugar report indicate
- What does my blood report indicate
- Done with blood work what does the report indicate
- What does the blood and semen analysis report indicate
- What do reactive lymphocytes indicate in blood report
- Blood cholesterol test done what does the report indicate