What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 17 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi can you read my reports im just worried about # mono i dont knoe what that mean
Thanks the pic is down blow

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Mono (Mononucleosis) is caused by a virus (Epstein-Barr virus). Most people will have had an infection with EBV by the time they are your age, so you have probably already had it and are now immune to it. Only a small percentage of people get full blown Mono when they have an EBV infection. Most just think they had a bad cold and never knew they had it.

Your monocytes are slightly elevated which we call monocytosis but this is not the same thing as nor does it indicate that you have Mono.

I'm actually not sure if you were asking about Mono when you wrote #mono but I thought I'd address that before going on.

Monocytes get elevated when there is a prolonged or chronic infection and in inflammatory situations such as when a person has an autoimmune disorder. Monocytes can also increase in some cancers but this would be low on the list.

Lab reports should always be read in the context of the reason they were ordered because they can mean many different things (as indicated above with the monocytes). So, what symptoms have you been having?

What I can say from this CBC is that because your neutrophils are elevated, this is some kind of infection or inflammation going on. And if there is an infection, it is more likely to be bacterial than viral (again because of the neutrophils or "polys"). Usually in a viral infection the lymphocytes go up. But not always.

Your platelets are also very slightly elevated which can go with infection, physical stress and exercise, allergies, blood loss, and some vitamin and iron deficiencies.

So the key to evaluating the significance of your report and what to do about it depends on:
1. The symptoms you are having that led your doctor to order the CBC.
2. How your labs compare with previous ones.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 hours later
Thank you i ask mono cause i search on web its shows its a kissing disease so i got scared. These are my old reoprts i just reaed them again today so i got worried . I got these done test done long time ago cause i was having pain druing pee so the doctor did all these test. when reports came the hospital told me i have uti so I got medicine . And i was asking what is the meaning of mono in my reports ? As you can see . If its a kissing diseaseDoes that mean i had that or still have it
Cause the doctor didnt told me that they jusy gave a madician for uti
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
"Kissing disease" is a very old name for mono and it isn't quite right.

As with many infections, the virus that can cause Mono (EBV), when infected, can be spread through saliva and respiratory secretions. So while it is possible to catch it from someone who actively has Mono by kissing them, it is more likely to catch it from their coughing or sneezing, especially if you touch a surface they touched after they coughed or sneezed, and then touch your eyes or nose.

It does NOT mean that every time you kiss someone you will get Mono. After all, would you really want to kiss someone who is sick?

I don't know how long ago the report was done, and as you said, you had an infection at the time, but it would be reasonable to get your CBC repeated again just to make sure everything returned to normal.