What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Should I go on a Stain? I have always had borderline numbers and in February of 2015 was diagnosed with a fatty liver. At that time my numbers were as follows:
Cholesterol 180
Triglycerides 186
HDL Cholesterol 46
LDL Cholesterol 97
VLD Cholesterol 37
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 3.9
Body Weight 258
At my yearly checkup in February 2016 my numbers were as follows:
Cholesterol 172
Triglycerides 96
HDL Cholesterol 48
LDL Cholesterol 105
Non HDL Cholesterol 124
Body Weight 224
At my yearly checkup in February of 2017 I was given another ultrasound to check my fatty liver. Findings: The liver is unremarkable. No evidence for fatty infiltration. No focal hepatic lesions. My Cholesterol numbers were as follows:
Cholesterol 161
Triglycerides 82
HDL Cholesterol 46
LDL Cholesterol 99
Non HDL Cholesterol 115
Body Weight 190
I have completely changed my eating habits and lifestyle since my fatty liver diagnoses. I walk one hour every day and always eat healthy foods. I’m very pleased with the weight reduction I have experienced, but the Cholesterol numbers have me concerned. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More information needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your post.
It will be helpful if you provide more information about:-
1. the medicines that you are taking.
2. any other blood test like blood sugar, kidney function test, thyroid profile.
3. your blood pressure and heart rate reading.
Your reply to the above queries will help in planning your further medical management.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 7 hours later
I’m currently taking Lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide (PRINZIDE,ZESTORETIC) 10-12.5 MG per tablet per day, Atenolol (TENORMIN) 100 MG tablet per day, 81 MG Asprin per day. The following are additional items listed on my yearly checkup report for 2015,2016,2017:
2015 2016 2017
Sodium 136 142 144
Potassium 3.9 4.7 5.0
Chloride 101 105 106
Carbon Dioxide 31 30 32
Anion Gap 4 7 6
Glucose 94 91 96
Urea Nitrogen 14 17 20
Creatinine 0.98 0.77 0.80
GFR Estimate 77 not listed 90
Calcium 8.9 9.2 9.5
Alt 29 24
AST 11 17
BP 120/82 Pulse 70 124/70 Pulse 68 122/64 Pulse 64

I often take my BP at my local food market/pharmacy and have noted that my BP if taken within an after my hour walk is usually lower. The Systolic will be as low as 99 and the Diastolic will as low as 58 with a pulse of 56.
I’m very skeptic of taking a Statin because of all of the possible negative side effects which I have heard about. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

XXXX
Brief Answer:
Lipid profile is towards normal limits.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing more information.
The reports provided by you shows that your lipid profile is towards normal limits and statins are not required.
Continue following the medicines, dietary and lifestyle modifications as advised by your doctor.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Regards. Thanks.