What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: HI THERE,
I have just receive my doctors blood tests, it shows that my SGOT levels are: 98, my SGPT levels are: 139, my y-GT are: 173, my LDH is: 245.
my cholesterol is 209, I take statins already for this.
I drink alcohol on a regular basis.
I am 48 years old, weigh in at 80 kilo ( which has the last month been risen by 3 kilo`s, even though I train at the gym 4/5 x a week).
is the alcohol the cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
alcohol likely cause with increase in GGt

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

With the increase in the GGT to 173, then alcohol is the likely cause. Alcoholic liver disease is one of the more common causes of an increase in GGT and it would also cause an increase in the other liver enzymes as well ( sgot, sgpt).
There are other causes of increase GGt such as infection of the liver (hepatitis), mass in the liver, cirrhosis

The statins may also be playing a role in the increase of the sgot and spgt as well but with the use of alcohol, it would be difficult to determine the impact.
Statins do not typically affect GGT.

In some cases, there is minimal damage to the liver due to the alcohol use and discontinuation can cause an improvement in liver function.

Unfortunately there are some instances where there has been a lot of damage that cannot be reversed.

Though your values are high, I've seen higher and it is possible that with a reduction, you would be in the first category and there would improvement if the tests are repeated in 3 to 6 months.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
hi there, thanks for you quick reply.

for the last few years I had a pain in my left side, just under the rib cage. it feels like something get trapped and if I wiggle or push it seems to release and the discomfort goes away. I went to the doctors about it but they put it down to my digestion and gave me some powder to take ( sorry don`t know it name anymore but it was orange flavour) , so I never went back to the doctor. has this maybe something to do with my liver?

will my weight gain have something to do with this liver problem? ( lat few months 3-4 kilos)

also I have muscle pain in my back and knees, related or not?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
weight in itself can affect the liver

Detailed Answer:
HI

If the liver is not working well , it can cause the retention of fluids and this can cause an increase in weight.

Weight gain can itself affect the liver because it can cause NON alcoholic fatty liver disease. This is a type of liver disease that occurs in persons with no history of prolonged or excess alcohol use.
In those persons , poor diet can cause the build up of fat in the liver which can , in some cases, progress to cause liver damage. If it has not gone far, this can also be reversed by diet changes and exercise.

If the pain in the abdomen was mainly on your left then it is not likely related to the liver, this is on the right.
If that pain recurs however, and bothers you, then it should definitely be re checked

In terms of the muscle pain , it is not likely related. Muscle spasms and pain can occur in severe liver disease is there is significant distortion of electrolytes but should not occur in your case

Please feel free to ask anything else