• question-icon

What does this blood report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,
Please adivece on the best treatment plan for
1) animea shown in the report attached .
2) low DHL .

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
You have a type of anemia called microcytic hypochromic anemia. This occurs in two conditions normally. The commonest condition is iron deficiency. Your blood tests did not show the serum iron or ferritin. These may be checked and if low, it is simple to treat with iron supplements. The other possibility is Thalassemia. In such a case this anemia is hereditary and you would have had it before . Also there would be a family history.
You also have a kidney disease caused by diabetes. The hormone which increases red blood cells and hemoglobin called Erythropoietin is produced in the kidney. The level of this hormone may be low and would be contributing to the anemia. You can have this hormone level estimated and if it is low there are injections available to replace it.
Your HDL ( not DHL) is low. This is the good cholesterol which has a protective effect on the heart and blood vessels. Medicines are not very successful in elevating it. You require to do exercise, stop smoking if you do, eat more oily fish like Salmon and Sardines, Eat Avocado, Walnut, Almond and use extra virgin olive oil and other mono unsaturated fatty acids.
Do get back to me if you have more queries.

Dr. Noble Zachariah