What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my son is 6 years old and from past 7 days he is running with temperature of 98,6F. He is not able eat or drink anything.Along with fever he has got severe cough and vomiting. Doctor suggested him Bifilac Sachets which after taking he vomits. Please suggest wat can be done to get rid. and he is very sleepy and he is not active. Doctor also advised for blood test. His report is attached. Please provide me a solution. I am worried.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Report suggestive of viral infection with allergic component

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the reports.
There is relative lymphocytosis(72.5%)and monocytosis which is suggestive of viral infection with very high levels of IgE which suggests allergic component.

The current medication you are giving him bifilac(probiotic,helps in maintaining gut flora),zincolite(zinc increases immunity),clamp kid forte(antibiotic) and S mucolite(ambroxol with salbutamol,mucus thinning agent with bronchodilator).Continue giving all these medication.
Here adding antiallergic(montelukast with cetrizine) with steroid helps in early recovery.
I would like to know if there is past history of repeated cough/cold,need of nebulisation for breathing problem or any family history of allergy.
If child is getting very lethargic,there is breathing problem and oral acceptance is poor consult your pediatrician for need of hospitalisation if any.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 18 hours later
I myself having severe allergic problem and he was not having signs of cold or cough before. But yes he is getting fever at least once in 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue the medication,observe the child

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

The raised immunoglobulin E level in your child indicates the presence of allergy and this runs in family.

Fever in every two to three months can be due to viral infection.The frequency decreases as the child grows.
I would like to continue the medication.Observe the child for improvement/deterioration in condition.
Get repeat test for IgE level done after few days to see whether it has normalised or not.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 27 minutes later
Thanks doctor, but how long will it take for the child to eat normally after the fever reduces. My sons fever has reduced, but still he says there is no taste in his mouth and does not want to eat or drink. Whether its because of medicines or may be it hinting me that still he is not cured. Please suggest. Cos still he sometimes vomit.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gradually the appetite will improve

Detailed Answer:
It's good to know that the fever is reduced.
Decreased appetite is very common in any illness.It can be due to the disease itself and/or the effect of medication.

You can give lansoprazole(junior lanzol)tablet for 4-5 days for vomiting,which is most probably due to gastritis(due to medications or fever).
Don't get worried.The appetite will improve gradually.
Wishing for his early recovery.