What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: i recently visited the ER and they sent my home....three days later I feel worse....and want to go back. looking at my blood work...these are the things that are catching my eye and wanted your feedback please. immatrure granulocytes Abs .5400 x 10'3/mirolL, immature granulocytes 4.1%, neutrophils absolute 8.2 x 1.'3 microL, WBC count 13.11 x 10'3/microlL

HX....all symptoms to be listed started after a double tooth extraction almost two weeks ago. symptoms include hearing loss, extreme fatigue, minor pain at extraction site, minor elevated temperature, elevated pulse 120-126. they started me on amoxicillin, then clindamycin, and finally I am half way through cipro. above labs were taken while on cirpro. symptoms have increased to all over body pain when ever I move at a 3-4/10, shortness of breath upon any exertion, marked hearing loss, and now also it is hard to concentrate and articulate myself, also recalling what I did last night in detail takes greater effort.

any suggestions on what I need to say so the ER staff doesn't dismiss me again today when I go back. I am really scared....in 2009 I got an infection in my arm...the ER sent me home only to have me return 7 days later on my own and realize they had made a mistake. three surgeries later, I lost 30% use of my left hand....and my firefighting career. trying to keep the same thing from happening again. please help.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood finding suggest bacterial infection,clinical assessment for other sym

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Your blood report shows increased number of white blood cells (WBCs), elevated neutrophils and presence of immature granulocytes on peripheral blood.
This kind of picture indicates presence of infectious focus in body most probably bacterial infection.
A history of extreme fatigue, elevated temperature, elevated pulse are all features of infection.
The site of tooth extractions could be the source of infection.
An examination of the tooth extraction sites would be helpful to determine whether there is evidence of infection.
Infection at such sites manifests with pain and collection of pus.
However, you have taking antibiotics so any infectious focus if present would have been treated by now.
However, the symptoms of body pain, shortness of breath on exertion and marked hearing loss are likely to be due to some other cause.
For shortness of breath on exertion you need to consult your physician for clinical assessment of cardiovascular system and respiratory system.
Hearing loss can occur in number of conditions.
A clinical assessment and audiometry are required to know the type of hearing loss. You need to consult an ENT for it.
Body pains are non-specific. Complete clinical assessment is required to know the cause of generalized body aches.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 27 minutes later
the tooth extraction site is non infectious and has been looked at, and my doc seems to think that the hearing loss has nothing to do with the infection. I only have 4 days of cipro left and no prednisone. at what point do I seek follow up care?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up care should be sought at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
In my opinion, follow up care should be sought at the earliest.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri