What does this biopsy report regarding bloody sputum indicate?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Lung Cancer
Question: My mom had bloody sputum past couple of months and we have done many tests to diagnose problem including biopsy, it was identified that, oozing blood from right lower lobe.

Please find the attached biopsy report(2nd biopsy).

Note: First biopsy result was showing negative and no indication of malignancy.

Question : Does this report shows any indication of lung cancer?.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it points to words cancers.

Detailed Answer:

Description few cells mentioned in report is pointing towards cancers.But doctor was probably not very sure since there are mixed inflammatory cells with theses suspicious celss.So doctor has suggested to get immunohistochemistry done.I think that should solve the problem.

Or you can collect the biopsy slides from hospital and get a second opinion in more dedicated cancer institute.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 37 hours later
is there any chance that immunohistochemistry test results shows negative(non-cancer) ?. Have you ever heard about immunohistochemistry results points to non- cancer.

thanks,
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
With IHC both results can come up.

Detailed Answer:

IHC can arise both negative and positive possibilities.

Regards.