• question-icon

What does this biopsy report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: My wife noticed a small projection on left side of neck one month back. On doctor's advice , biopsy was done and result is as follows :
Site of Biopsy : unknown site
Diagnosis : * Moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma infiltrating the fibrocollagenous tissue
& adjacent fat with focal perineural infiltration.
* Focal collections of lymphocytes seen

Please give opinion on the seriousness of the test results and further action to be followed

XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is one type of cancer. It is serious problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

She has squamous cell carcinoma. It is one type of cancer. It is a serious problem and need further investigation and treatment. Treatment depends on exact site and spread of cancer. It also depends on stage. Please provide me all the detail so that I can help you further. If it is surgically resectable then surgery followed by chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy is the treatment.

please provide me all the details.

Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me.
I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 11 hours later
Actually, a PET Scan and endoscopy was done and doctors could not identify the primary location and according to them , for 3 percent of people, any test will not reveal the primary location. The projection on left neck was noticed one month back only , without any pre discomfort or illness. Yesterday , the doctor has suggested radiation followed by surgery , if necessary. Hope, the issue is in preliminary stage and we are in right direction of treatment. Your suggestion of surgery followed by radiation is better or other way ( radiation followed by surgery, if necessary ). Please give your opinion. Also please be advised on future follow ups and treatment to avoid further growths
Reegards
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It doesn't looks in primary stage.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

She have lateral neck mass and doctor is unable to identify primary. It means this lesion is metastatic lesion. If neck mass is due to metastatic squamous cell carcinoma then it is stage 4. If it is primary lesion then it is of early stage.

You can go for radiation followed by surgery. Further plan should be done after the histopathology reports of surgically resected tumor.

Hope I have answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist