What does this biopsy report indicate?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hi i had biopsy and came back with both specimens represent inflamed lymphoeithilal tissue wiht reactive hyperplasia of thelymphoid components . There is no evidence of dysplasia or maliganncy . Do you think any things wrong with my throat . Pls hellp me . I am verry worrid abut that. i just thinking that maybe HPV . Do you think that could already tasted in biopsy ? I am really worried i just thinking maybe that hpv
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
does not sound concerning

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
What you have indicated above sounds like that there is just some general inflammation and nothing concerning for cancer or precancer.
I do not know if they tested you specifically for HPV but they might have. Also the pathologist may have seen changes typical for HPV and reported that if they had seen it.
As you know HPV can predispose you to cancer and you can ask your doctor to check you specifically for HPV if you are concerned about that.
Inflammation occurs when the body is trying to heal from some insult or injury. This can be from things like smoking or viruses. Even excessive singing or talking a lot can cause some inflammation in the throat.
Overall this does not sound like a concerning report. If you have specific concerns about HPV ask to be tested for that.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 39 minutes later
Hi thanks for your reply
I got very strong OCD i asked my ent and gp and they said there is no hpv but i still thinking why my dentist refeared me for swap hpv teast first time when he had seen me even i had swab test coupls times and came back clear . I dont know why still cant remove that from my mind . Can you just tell me how i can sure there is no hpv ? Pls tell me
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inflammation

Detailed Answer:
In medicine we always want to "rule out" the worse or most damaging cause of a finding.
For example if someone comes in with chest pain, they may have anxiety, reflux or any number of things causing chest pain, but the thing we want to "rule out" first is heart disease.
It is the same with your dentist. If he or she saw inflammation in your mouth they would want to rule out HPV.
I can assure you that if you have been tested for HPV and it was negative then you do not need to worry about that.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 9 minutes later
But i had search in google there is no test for hpv untill develope to cancer so thats why i am worrid i paid more than £2000 and still cant find out what could be . How i can find out pls
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
tests can be done on biopsy specimens

Detailed Answer:
It is true that testing in the mouth is complicated but when a biopsy is done that tissue can be tested for HPV. You need to discuss this with the doctor that did the biopsies of your throat. If they did not see evidence of HPV then that is very good. There is not screening test for oral HPV.
Please understand that while many people contract oral HPV most people's immune systems clear this infection. The best protection you can use is being very careful with whom you are having oral sex and avoiding other factors like smoking that put you at risk for oral cancers.
Dr. Robinson