What does this biophysical profile value indicate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: 26 weeks pregnant. Didnt feel baby at all today so they dent me for biophysical profile. They didnt break down results but overall score was 8/8. What does this mean? They did say they needed to wait a bit for breathing motions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggests mild fetal distress.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Normal biophysical score is 10/10. A score of 8/8 can be due to delayed breathing movements or a decrease in liquor or a lesser body tone of the baby. It needs detailed results for a proper evaluation. A decrease in the score is suggestive of a fetal distress. Just wait for the detailed results to come.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
They told me the score was normal. They said i didnt need a nst so could the score be 8/8 instead of 8/10 (last 2 points being for nst)? They said everything looked ok- should i ask for follow up?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. The score is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
They are right. At 26 weeks NST is not needed. A score of 8/8 is normal. 2 points are given for NST. No further follow up is needed. You can do a daily fetal movement count at home.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN