What does this X ray report suggest?

Posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Can you offer interpretation of xray please?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The chest X ray AP view dated 13-06-2014 shows the following
(i) The lung markings in the right lung base are prominent with basal atelectatic changes with the possibility of a consolidation in the right lung lower lobe.
(ii) Apparent increase in heart shadow due to AP semi erect film
(iii) Mild basal atelectatic changes are noted in left lung base
(iv) There is an elevated right dome of diaphragm which might be due to patient position or an effusion

2. The other two pictures are CT navigation images and show possibility of consolidation right lower lobe with small effusion.

3. The course and complaints of the patient requires discussion in the clinical perspective.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 12 minutes later
What diagnosis would you be likely to make on your interpretation, thank you. Symptoms were extreme pain on breathing, shortness of breath, pain on movement, unable to lie flat, sweating and difficulty talking. Chest area on right side was painful if touched.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Right lower lobe pneumonia with pleural effusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. The diagnosis I would like to make is a pneumonia involving right lung lower lobe with a possible fluid collection in the region. These two features might cause the pain and difficulty in breathing in the patient.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
Thank you very much for your interpretation and time in answering my query.
Brief Answer:
Welcome and wish you good health

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome and thanks for sending in your query.

The covering of lungs is very pain sensitive and even a slight infection or effusion causes stimulation of nerves leading to pain, breathlessness and discomfort.

Should you have any more health queries and would like me to answer them then please mention "Query Id 215961 DR XXXXXXX CHAIL" in your query and the moderators will direct it to me. I will reply back to you at the earliest.

Dr XXXXXXX
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist