What does this X-ray report indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hi doctor , my grandfather 70 years of age is suffering from knee pain since 3-4years and it has increased now. earlier was managing via painkiller but now due to enlarged prostate gland doctor has advised to take less ... I am enclosing x-ray reports. please suggest treatment. being from village I prefer alternate to surgery treatment if possible. thanks
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy will help

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your grandfather's medical history and the attached reports in detail.

All the reports suggest severe osteoporosis and cartilage degeneration which usually happen at this age.

Any age related degeneration is irreversible and complete normalisation is impossible.

But there are a few options by which we can reduce the pain factor-

SAFER ANALGESICS- Tablets like piroxicam,tramadol,etodolac can be used for longer periods of time without much side effects.Diclofenac,ibuprofen and similar NSAIDS should be avoided.

KNEE BRACE- Using a knee brace or a knee cap while ambulating will reduce the stress on the knees and reduce pain.

KNEE EXERCISES/PHYSIOTHERAPY- Multiple physiotherapy sessions including active and passive knee muscle strengthening exercises along with short wave diathermy,LASER therapy will help to some extent.

Lumbar traction and using a lumbosacral corset will help for lumbar spondylosis.

REDUCE BODY WEIGHT- If your grandfather is overweight,he should reduce his weight to normal BMI.

SUPPLEMENTS- Calcium and vitamin D supplements along with diacerin/glucosamine/MSM tablets will help srengthen the bones and cartilage.

BMD test- Get his Bone Mineral Densitometry done to assess the extent of osteoporosis.

YOGA-Lastly,Yoga and meditation have their own benefits and should be done on daily basis.

AVOID- Squatting,sitting cross legged and climbing stairs should be avoided as far as possible.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.