• question-icon

What does this X-ray report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi doctor,

Can you please look at the attched xrays and let me know what can the issue in my wife's backbone as she feels problem in bending down and has problem in lower back.

Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bones and spine are normal.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached X-ray. There is no major bony abnormality. The pain in the lower back on bending forwards might be due to Mechanical back pain.
It is a common medical problem. Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin or Brufen 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that she must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.

She can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon