What does this X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father is having seviour pain in Knee he has consulted an orthopaedic and he said that gap has developed in knee and given some medicines, but still he is getting no releaf in pain. I wanted to have 2nd openion from you. Attaching x-ray and proscription. please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached X-ray and prescriptions. The joint space in the knee is reduced and the knee joint has developed osteoarthritis.
These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. You need to start with all these according to the severity of the symptoms. if mild pain killers are not helping then stronger pain killers are needed.
Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal