What does this X-ray of chest indicate?

Posted on Tue, 3 Feb 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hello,
my son is 4 months old today..he was born with arthrogryposis affecting both his feet.When he was born doctors performed usg abdomen,chst xray and various other blood test inclusing tsh all were normal..his 2d echo was done at 22 days old..it was normal as well...now recently from past 1 month he is having on and off cold and cough congestion so we did a xray chest today...it was also done on 9 december which came out normal...the current xray shows evrythng normal except it says cardiothymic complex?what does that mean and is it something i should worry about? he is feeding well..the pulse and rr is normal..he is 6.4 kgs now and he was born 2.89 kgs..he recently had his feet surgery under aneasthesia on 17 december to correct his feet...can u help me out with the recent finding in the xray? also telme is it worrysome?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a normal X ray

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Good day.
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

I saw the X-ray and report. No need to worry.

In children thymus - an immune organ, is normally enlarged. In X-ray the enlarged thymus and heart is seen as a single shadow called cardiothymic complex. The thymus will decrease in size as age progress an reach adult small size by 6-10 years. Till then it appears as a large shadow above heart shadow. So what you are seeing in your child's X-ray is a normal finding at his age.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you.

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Pediatric Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist