What does this Widal test report in an elderly person indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: MY FATHER 78 YERAS OLD HAS FEVER FROM LAST THREE DAYS FOR TWO DAYS IT WAS SHOOTING TO 103F NOW IT IS 100F. REPORT SAYS RBC COUNT 4.10 MILL/MM3, PCV39.10 %,TLC 11.20 THOUSAND/MM3,NEUTROPHILS 7.95 THOUSAND/MM3,ESR: 75 MM/HR, WIDAL TEST SALMONELLA TYPHI O REACTIVE 1:80, TYPHI H REACTIVE 1: 40, A,H NON RECATIVE, B,H NON REACTIVE.
PLS ADVICE IF HE HAS TYPHOID OR BACTERIAL INFECTION AND WHAT DOES HIGH ESR MEANS
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your father's findings may suggest positive widal test and UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your father's findings may suggest positive widal test.It is done for typhoid fever.
Single titration of antibodies O or H greater than or equal to 1: 80 is considered as positive widal test.
However,single titration is of little clinical significance.
Four fold increase in serial titration is confirmatory for widal test.So,your father may need follow up widal test.
However,findings need clinical correlation.

Urine findings may suggest urinary tract infection(UTI).
UTI is indicated by excess presence of pus cells,bacteria,RBC in urine.He may need culture and sensitivity of urine.
He should drink plenty of water.

Findings also suggests mild anemia,raised WBC and ESR.
ESR and raised WBC may be due to infection.
He may need iron supplementation.
Platelet values are also low,so he may need watchful observation and follow up platelet estimation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 8 days later
Visited doctor doctor gave antibiotic shots for 4 days now pus cell are absent.
He feels too weak and tends to forget things very often.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Absence of pus cells in urine latest report may indicate improvement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

He will recover soon.Weakness is common after such illness.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX