question-icon

What does this VDRL test result indicate?

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015
Question: In 2011 my vdrl test was non reactive.
In 2014 I got vdrl result as reactive. TPHA positive.
Titre 1 : 2
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Syphilis positive. Inj Penicillin in form of benzathine benzylpenicillin.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for VDRL result as reactive Titre 1 : 2 and TPHA positive.

On interpreting your reports I can get that you have positive test for syphilis.

To tell you elaborately: VDRL is a non-specific test for syphilis and can come positive in multiple conditions along with syphilis.

Therefore if VDRL comes positive then for the confirmation we go for more specific confirmatory tests. TPHA is one of the most specific tests for syphilis and is positive only when a person is suffering from syphilis.

Your treating doctor has correctly prescribed you Penicillin. But in my patients I prefer injectable penicillin. I suggest you to meet a dermatologist near you and tell him/her all your symptoms.

If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed you Injection Penicillin in form of benzathine benzylpenicillin, at a dose of 2.4 million units as soon as possible. It is the drug of choice for your kind of situation. Syphilis is very well treatable condition and should not be worried about the same.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY & Sexually transmitted diseases.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist