What does this TSH level indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hey My TSH level is 1.140 and My prolactin is 17.2, i don't know what they mean is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
both of these are normal

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Thyroid function and prolactin levels are normally done in women with a history of delayed or irregular periods to determine if either of these is abnormal.
High prolactin levels and abnormal thyroid levels can cause problems with the menstrual cycle.
These are done to see if anything else, other than the PCOS is causing the delayed periods.

The normal range for prolactin is 2 to 29 ng/ml though there may be some variation from one lab to the next.
Your value of 17.2 is in the normal range.

The normal range for TSH is 0.5 to 5 mIU/L.
Your value of 1.140 is within normal range.

Both of your values are normal.

This means that neither of these is causing the problems with your period. It is due to the PCOS.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions