What does this TSH blood test report indicate?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: hi, i am 25 years old and i had irregularity in my periods so i went for my thyroid test in which my tsh level is found to be 7.77 and my t3 and t4 are normal ,do i need to take medication or not or in future will this level will lead to infertility this is the first time my periods got irregular. does thyroid change occur suddenly i don't feel any other symptom like fatigue constipation an all..........i am bit tensed for future is this level of thyroid curable will i get my periods regularly ?
where will i get my answer please reply
Answered by Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat TSH

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about high TSH values.

Following is my reply:

1) Your TSH values are high and need to be treated.

2) Before that Your TSH needs to be repeated to confirm that your TSH is really high and the present value is not an error as you dont have any symptoms.

3) If repeat TSH shows more than 5 you need to start on medicines. If not no need.

4) Let me know if you are over weight. Let me know your height and weight as obesity is another reason for irregular periods other than hypothyroidism.

I hope I answered you query and addressed your concerns.

Let me know if you wish to ask any further questions. I will be glad to help you.

Dr. Soumya.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 18 hours later
my height is 5ft and wt is 70 but i am obese from birth itself do i need to take thyroid tablets if so for how long please help me...................i am tensed a lot........
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please reduce weight

Detailed Answer:

Please repeat thyroid levels and see if its high . If yes start thyroid tablets.

Please try to reduce weight. You can do it even if you are obese by birth. Obesity is the only reason for your irregular periods. Please join gym and hire a trainer for you over a long term. Have low calorie diet.

Please get an ultrasound scan done fom your gynecologist to check if you are suffering from polycystic ovaries (PCO). This is another reason for weight gain and irregular cycles.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad