What does this RA factor test result indicate?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My mother had a RA factor test. And result is 26.7 IU/ML. Is report positive or not? If report is not positive then how dangerous stage is on , right now.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
RA factor alone is not diagnostic of arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and her blood report for RA factor is within normal limit (40-6-IU/ml) but would like to know-
1. Number of joint's having pain and selling?
2. Any family history of rheumatoid arthritis/multiple joint pain?
It is Important as RA factor alone is never the base to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis but is based on sign/symptoms along with blood test.

Hope this suffices and I shall be glad to answer any further query.