• question-icon

What does this PET scan report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: A recent PET scan of my husbands brain showed "a diffuse and severe beta amyloid deposition including the bifrontal, bitemporal, biparietal and bioccipital lobes as well as the precuneus." Can anything be determined related to progression of altheimers? He is 77 and was diadnosed with mild cognitive disorder in 2014.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These findings support MCI progression to Alzheimer's.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Severe beta amyloid deposition in brain is a strong indicative element of mild cognitive impairment progression into Alzheimer's disease.

The mean time of progression of mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer's is around 8 years after MCI diagnosis.

However, cognitive (neuropsychological) tests about Alzheimer's are necessary to confirm the progression.

Discuss with your husband's Neurologist about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical