What does this PET scan of kidney indicate?

Excellent

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
Hi
Attached are my dad;s PET scan report. This is after a year of his RCHOP treatment for low grade NHL he developed last year. This was for comparison purpose to take a cal lon Radiation and futher therapys required. I have question on the Kidney cysts the report talks about. How severe it is? What we should be doing next on it? Also what is it about Retro peritonium in the report? Is it any indication towards heart issues?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All are age related. Not to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on reports, my opinion is as follows:

1. The kidney cysts are small and does not affect the function. They are known to occur in 50% of the population above 50 years. Complications are rarely seen.

2. Need to wait and watch. As they do not cause complications. If hematuria is seen, another ultrasound may be necessary to rule out any cyst related cause.

3. Retroperitoneum is the area behind the peritoneum. The areas, which are behind the intestinal gut are called as retroperitoneal areas.

4. Atherosclerosis is deposition of cholesterol in walls of the artery, making it very hard. It is common at this age, and there is no aneurysm (abnormal dilatation of blood vessel), so need not worry. Lipid levels and weight should be under control to reduce further atherosclerosis or cholesterol deposition into walls of the artery. Mild to moderate exercise will help. Everybody above 50 years will have atherosclerosis and at 71 it is common. Nothing to worry.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM

Follow-up: What does this PET scan of kidney indicate? 38 minutes later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX

The info helped me.

Any particular care for kidney cysts that they are evicted by themselves? Will any diet help or is it something like a cyst formed will remain there if not progressing?

He is very moderate when we look at him, like he is only 56 Kgs with 5.6 height. Not sure how cholestrol could be there for him. Anyway now I understand not necessary a Obese should have all fat. :)

Thanks again.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no diet necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Atherosclerosis starts at birth and keeps on progressing till the end. However, if lipid profile is under control it slows down. Yes, obesity causes more cholesterol deposition in blood vessels. Check for lipid levels, if abnormal, can start on anti-lipid therapy. Moderate exercise with balanced diet is good for lipid control.

Kidney cysts are age related changes. Nothing to worry and no diet is known to help. If there is any hematuria, then if there is no other cause, you can probably blame it on cysts. They usually don't cause any complications.

Dr. Prakash HM

Follow-up: What does this PET scan of kidney indicate? 9 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.

Good amount of information and cure to my worries.

XXXXXX

Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and you are welcome.
If you do not require any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Prakash HM