• question-icon

What does this MRI scan report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Fell of the stairs of a bus more that 4 months ago. My right shoulder got injured and have been hurting since. I was only treated with ibuprofen and naproxen and have been doing physical therapy twice a week for 2 months now without significant improvement. My mobility has actually improved but I constantly have a pain in the posterior right shoulder. Pain radiates anteriorly along bicepts tendon and towards the arm. Physical Therapy and movement increase the pain. Pain is in the form of a burning sensation inside the shoulder. Since 2 months I have noticed increased episodes to numbness, stiffness and light tingling in the right hand.These symptoms have become slowly more and more frequent since. Right hand gets very cold normally when the other is warm to the touch. Discoloration was noticed too. Constant sensation of weight over the shoulder. Mobility not too bad. Dicreased strenght and grip. Did an open MRI to the shoulder in January. At the time it was noticed a mild supraspinatus tendinosis. No linear rotator cuff tear, retraction or atrophy seen. Tiny possible paralabral cysts adjacent to the anterior-superior labrum. Tiny amount of fluid seen adjacent to to the anterior superior joint space. What would you recommend next. what do you think it might be going on? I feel that Phisical therapy might be targeting the symptoms and not the cause. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physical therapy increases the muscle strength.

Detailed Answer:
The MRI scan is suggestive of inflammatory changes in the joint. There is no tear. So conservative treatment is the best option for you. As the pain is persistent you can opt for local steroid injections to decrease the inflammation.
Physical therapy targets on increasing the range of movement and restoring the muscle strength. In addition to it you need oral anti inflammatory medicines and a hot compress to decrease the inflammation. You are getting a right treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon