• question-icon

What does this MRI report post Polio vaccination indicate?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: hello,
my grandchild was given a double dose of polio vaccine-mom was called back 2-3wks later because
the dr said they found out the first vaccine was not stored at adequate temp. now is is hospitalized with
a ?ADEM DIAGNOSIS.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be an unfortunate sequel of vaccination.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Your grandchild was suffering from acute gastroenteritis with moderate to severe dehydration a few days back. However, on being taken to the doctor, he was perhaps found to have other features which made the doctor get an MRI done. The MRI revealed Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM). There is a condition called Post-vaccination encephalomyelitis. Post-vaccination ADEM has been associated with several vaccines including polio. It is an adverse effect of polio vaccination and does not necessarily mean that the excess dose or the preservation had any role to play.

The following link should help:
http://home.smh.com/sections/services-procedures/medlib/Pandemic/Pan_geriatrics/PanGer_73_Huynh_050309.pdf

Present treatments are centred on immunosuppression and immunomodulation. The options include corticosteroids, plasma exchange, and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg). It is not necessary to wait for the CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) reports for the treatment to begin. The MRI itself should be enough to make a diagnosis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician