What does this MRI report of spine indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had an MRI with these findings..L5/S1 disc desiccation and central posterior annular tearing at this level.. there is a hypo intense focus in the T11 vertebrae body measuring 8 mm with a benign hemangioma..a similar focus is seen in the L5 vertebral body. The luminaries otherwise normal height, what does this really mean? Back surgery?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
At the moment, no need for surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Vertebral hemangiomas usually are incidentally findings on imaging studies done for other reasons ( trauma, back pain etc.).

In the majority of cases their presence isn't linked with neurologic symptoms and are not object of surgery.

Only few cases when hemangiomas cause symptoms and there is evidence of growth in follow up imaging studies, they can be treated by surgery.

So, at the moment, hemangiomas found on your MRI need only periodic follow up.

Disc dessication and annular tearing are not related to hemangiomas, they are features of degenative and herniated disc disease.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj