What does this MRI report of brain for seizures indicate?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Doc,
In MRI of brain for my daughter age 6.5 years who suffered seizures, it is written "There is presence of non specific tiny focus of altered signal intensity; appearing hyperintense on T2 weighted & FLAIR images;in the left parietal subcortical white matter;devoid of diffusion restriction suggestive of micro vascular ischemic/gliotic focus." Pls interpret and let me know what cud this indicate. How should we proceed on next course of treatment or further course..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No significant abnormality on the MRI

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted the symptoms and MRI report of your daughter. The MRI brain does not show any active problem. The changes described are due to slight loss of blood supply at the time of delivery. This would not lead to any adverse effect on the brain function.

Regarding seizures, if it is only one seizure, we can wait and watch, as more than 50% of them would not get a seizure again in the future. However, if she has had two or more seizures, then, anti-seizure medications are needed for at least three years.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thanks a lot for your reply. My final query is if this can be cured completely with medication of 3 years and which medication amongst Oxchlorazepam/Sodium Valproate will better for kid.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oxcarbazepine is better.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Oxcarbazepine is better. Sodium valproate is also good but has side effects like weight gain.

In three years, more than 70% children become seizure free and the medications can be stopped. However, in about 25% children, medicines may be needed for longer duration.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist