• question-icon

What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am feeling numbness in my right hand and having severe pain in my right shoulders since last two months.
I am taking pregabalin and duloxtine currently. Please suggest me how strongly do you refer for surgery. Can it be recovered with physiotherapy and medications.
MRI Report:
There is kyphosis in cervical spine from C4 to C7 level with grade I anterolisthesis C4 over C5 with Type II modic end plate at C4/5 level.
There is diffuse disc bulge at C4/5 level with significant compression of thecal sac and bilateral neural foramina narrowing.
Diffuse disc bulge is seen at C5/6 level with thecal sac compression and flattening of spinal cord at this level with mild narrowing of bilateral neural foramina. No spinal cord signal alteration is seen.
Diffuse disc bulge is seen at C6/7 level with right sided paracentral protrusion causing significant thecal sac and neural foramina narrowing. There is severe impingement of right sided exiting nerve root.
No significant contrast enhancement is seen at any level.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery may be done, if symptoms don't improve with medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Your MRI of cervical spine shows C4/C5, C5/C6 disc bulges and protruded disc at C6/C7 with severe impingement of right sided exiting nerve root. Surgery in this case should be considered if symptoms don't respond to adequate trial of medicines and spinal exercises. In addition, a short course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines along with calcium/vitamin D supplementation should be taken.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist