• question-icon

    What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was suffering from back pain.
I consulted orthopedic.I took out the MRI of Lumbar spine and x -ray too.
MRI suggested compression of L2-L3.
Lumbar canal diameter at L2-L3 is : 0.6 mm
Lower cord and cauda equina is normal.
all other things are normal.
Basically from the MRI , DOC concluded that in L2-L3 there is compression.

treatment suggested are :
1.painkiller like Ultrarite(paracetamol and Tramadol hydrochoride)
2.Physio therapy

if not relived then painblock injection and if stiill pain then spine decompression operation.

I want some advice whether along with the pain killer and physio, can I take any medicine which will help in decompression of the spine.
so that the operation can be avoided.
and along with the physio and painkiller , spine decompression can be achieved by medicine.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question, reviewed the reports and understand your concern.

There is disc prolapse at L 2-3 level causing significant compression of nerve roots.

This causes low back pain and numbness like feeling in lower limbs on prolonged standing or walking.
The physiotherapy helps in building the muscle strength and improvement in disc prolapse.

Pain killers and muscle relaxant also help in increasing disc space and reducing disc prolapse.
No medications lead to disc prolapse reduction.

Surgery is required in non-improving cases.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.

Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 37 hours later
what are any other painkiller and muscle relaxant I need to take along with
Ultrarite(paracetamol and Tramadol hydrochoride).
As suggested by you I believe no nerve specific medicine is needed.

and thanks for the suggestions
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
You can take zerodol TH instead of ultralite twice daily if pain is severe.
Pain due to nerve compression responds well with pregablin, gabapentin or amitriptyline. It can be added if required.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Kumar


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2263 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Disc prolapse

doctor1 MD

Hello hope perhaps you can shead some light I am 45 and I seem to have pain and tightness along the spine and upper and mid back I have had this...

doctor1 MD

Hi ive been having back pain for awhile due to pickup a 2 yearold and then suddenly last night i bent over to pick her up then a sound of a pop...

doctor1 MD

My 63 year old son has developed painful feet. It started in middle of back several years ago, & worked itself down to his legs. Now, he cannot...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had three injections 4 years ago for my sciatica, epidural, facit joint and nerve block, all made the pain worse, but, during the last...

doctor1 MD

i was not as informative as i should of been in my last question one of the answers said. start by again saying i am 32 years old,female,suffering...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

191 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Neeraj Kumar
  • Q - What causes recurrent painful sensation over one side of lower face?

  • Q - What does my blood test report indicate?

  • Q - What causes constant dizziness?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for weight gain, coldness and constipation

  • Q - What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurring optic neuritis in right eye

  • Q - What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?

  • Q - How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constant pain due to neuropathy

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in buttocks of a person with spinal problems?