• question-icon

What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,

Recent MRI showed i have " left ophthalmic segment aneurysm, possibly impinging on the left optic nerve. Dedicated optic nerve imaging may be contributory. Otherwise normal study."

I am very anxious about this and my specialist apt is not for another week. Am i in any immediate danger? Very confused and scared.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Control your blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It depends on the aneurysm size and wall architecture, however, controlling blood pressure correctly minimizes the rupture danger.

Small regular aneurysms may not require immediate surgery or embolisation, this will be clear after consultations with your Neurosurgeon.

In conclusion, control correctly the blood pressure until you meet with the Specialist.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 13 minutes later
My blood pressure is comsistently low anyway! So thats a good sign!

If neccessary is there a non invasive surgery? I just cant imagine how they would get to it.
And is it possible sometimes they just monitor it?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low blood pressure is a good thing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Normal or low blood pressure is necessary to prevent aneurysm rupture.

Embolisation is done by endovascular route, a catheter is inserted into your artery and is leaded to the aneurysm by x-rays confirmation, the aneurysm is filled with titanium coils, and is excluded from the circulation.

Some small regular aneurysms may be monitored.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical