• question-icon

What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
I had an MRI done of my back and there is a diagnosis that reads: Marrow signal is heterogenous without focal lesion. What does that mean? Also can you tell me about Mutilevel disc desiccation and facet arthropathy?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are changes attributed to increasing age in your lower back spine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The marrow refers to the bone marrow in the vertebrae (back bone). With increasing age there is conversion of red marrow to fatty marrow. The appearance of the marrow is heterogeneous means it shows a mixed signal intensity and fat conversion and this is a normal appearance in many people of your age.

Focal lesions can be areas of concern and you do not have any focal lesion in the marrow.

The lower part of the back bone is a set of 5 small bones called lumbar spine. The bones are aligned on top of each other. In between the bones we have discs which are made of spongy substance to provide cushoining during joint movements. On either side the bones are aligned to each other by the facet joints.

With increasing age the water content in the discs decreases and this is called disc desiccation and it is a degenerative process. The facet joints also develop degenerative changes which is called arthropathy.

In simple words your lower back is showing signs of mild degenerative changes and that is why you might have low back symptoms.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist