What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I had an MRI done. On the MRI, a small dural calcification on the falx was noted but MRI still came back as normal. I wanted more information on this because according to my research this is common in OLDER people. I am 27. The neurologist brushed me off, I should I get a second opinion? What could this calcification cause me later? I am a bit worried about it and feel like maybe there should be something done about it because of the symptoms I am having which caused me to get to a neurologist in the first place.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It should cause no symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Falx calcification or ossification, could be seen also in young people in rare cases, besides in old people.

This calcification doesn't cause any symptoms in most of cases, and there is nothing to worry about.

Only in few cases, in appropriate clinical setting, this calcification may be related to conditions such endocrine disorders (hyperparathyroidism etc.), renal failure, high levels of vitamin D, etc.

If there is any doubt about above mentioned conditions that may relate to falx calcification, discuss with your primary care Doctor about.

The only thing that you can do in order to peace your mind, is to have imaging follow up after six months or one year.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad